First, we start with solid brass base and copper, then the element is nickel plated for long life.
Overall Length: 6 inches
Coil (element) Length: 4.75 Inches
You can run high voltage through the element as long as you don’t exceed the rated wattage of the element.
Example: a 600 watt element can handle a 600 watt max solar array output of 150 volts 4 amps.
Example 2: a 300 watt element can handle a max output of 300 watts 200 volt at 1.5 amps. As long as your panels meet or exceed 12 volt but don’t exceed the max output wattage you can safely use the element.
DO NOT USE GRID POWER AS IT WILL IMMEDIATELY DESTROY THE ELEMENT!
Can also be used as a solar panel dump load.
Heat water directly using a wind turbine generator (with or without a battery bank). Wind turbine generators are used primarily for electricity generation.
The power used can be stored in a battery bank or connected to the main supply using a suitable grid tie inverter. In very strong winds, and/or when the batteries are fully charged a wind turbine may generate more current than the batteries can handle. Therefore a dump load is often used to divert the extra energy to heat water so it is not wasted and so that the wind turbine does not spin so quickly that it is damaged.
Note: If you have a gas hot water heater you may wish to put an electric unit ahead of it. This way the gas heater is always being fed hot water so it does not turn on as often and for shorter periods of time when it does.
If used as a diversion (dump) load, such an element is connected to the batteries via a charge regulator. When the regulator detects that the batteries are fully charged, it diverts the generated electricity to the element which heats water.
- Can be used direct with batteries, solar panels, hydroelectric generators, as a wind turbine dump diversion load.
- Fits standard water heaters with a 1″ NPT or your own custom heater tank
- Standard American water heater element replacement for on or off grid applications
- Runs off your car battery for portable hot water anywhere
- Livestock water tank deicer (low amp draw means you won’t drain your battery as fast). For keeping dog, cat, chicken, and other domestic animals’ water from freezing